In our second installment of our new series, Fine, Let's Talk About..., where we share our patented Five Step Explanation to help groups we are not a part of understand safety in their own lives, we bring you Fine, Let's Talk About Race. As a white person, I've taken on this installment; our previous installment, Fine, Let's Talk About Rape was naturally written by a man. It's highly recommended for the ladies, and can be read here.
1. Yes, no black person should ever be blamed if he or she becomes a murder victim.
2. Yes, there are some things you can do that might slightly lower your chances of getting murdered, but nothing will actually prevent it.
3. No, this does not mean you should just not do anything to lower your chances of getting murdered. Not wearing a hoodie every day, or carrying your possessions in your pockets, won't keep you from being murdered but if it lowers your chances slightly, why not?
4. No, saying "hey here are some ideas that might lower your chances of becoming a victim" is not victim blaming. It's simply advice and you can take it or leave it.
5. Yes, the only solution to the racially-motivated murder of black people is to teach white people not to murder. But that will take generations. In the meantime we have to live in the real world and in the real world learning some basic strategies of self-presentation is a good idea for everyone - white and black - not simply to lower the chances of murder but to lower the chances of getting hurt in any way by douchekebabs.